- About us
- Code of Conduct
- Google SoC
- Recent posts
- Security Workshops
I'm interested in infostealers and specifically in banking-trojans so I didn't want to miss this one. Samples of Carberp are floating around at least since last spring but in late September we saw such numbers increasing.
Taking a look at how Carberp hooks API it looks like yet another Zeus "clone". What I found interesting is how it hooks system calls. This is how a normal syscall looks like
The deadline for the Forensic Challenge 2010/5 - Log Mysteries is quickly approaching. It seems like this challenge is a hard nut to crack as we only received a few submissions so far. If you like a challenge, give it a try. The deadline is September 30th 2010. You can access the challenge at http://honeynet.org/challenges/2010_5_log_mysteries. Did I mention there are prizes?
After a short break, I am pleased to announce the next forensic challenge: Forensic Challenge 5 - Log Mysteries. This challenge takes you into the world of virtual systems and confusing log data. Figure out what happened to a virtual server using all the logs from a possibly compromised server.
Challenge 5 has been created by Raffael Marty from the Bay Area Chapter, Anton Chuvakin from the Hawaiian Chapter, and Sebastien Tricaud from the French Chapter. It is a bit more open ended than the last challenges, so I am really looking forward to some creative answers!
Submission deadline is September 30th and we will be announcing winners around October 21st. We have a few small prizes for the top three submission.
I'll tell you the truth: Export Address Table Filtering, the feature of the upcoming release of EMET, "designed to break nearly all shell code in use today", intrigued me a bit.
A new improvement in PHoneyC DOM emulation code was committed in SVN r1624. The idea is to better emulate the DOM behaviour depending on the selected browser personality. Let's take a look at the code starting from the personalities definition in config.py.
The Discoverer module (see zhongjie's blog entry) has been completed.
It consists of 2 programs, the Format Discovery and Pre-Replay processing.
Format Discovery is pretty much what i've blogged about in my earlier post.
Since that entry, I've completed the to-do tasks:
1) have a function to summarise all output for this program.
2) solve a memory leak problem in this program.
3) match replay packet to format, and if length segment changes (eg: due to shellcode change), then length field needs to change.
4) from replay ip, find IP tokens and change it.
I've been working on the GSOC Project 14 in recent months. We are meant to start a new tool which can replay the collected exploit traces.
We know that during the process of exploit replay, there're many fields need to be changed in the original application messages. Some of them are platform independent, and the others are platform specific. Platform-independent variables are those changed each time we exploit, like timestamp, cookie, length, etc. And platform-specific variables are those changed only if the target system is changed, like target address, return address point to the shellcode.
“Dionaea is meant to be a Nepenthes successor, embedding Python as scripting language, using libemu to detect shellcodes, supporting IPv6 and TLS” (taken from Dionaea homepage). Besides being the most interesting project for trapping malware exploiting vulnerabilities, Dionaea supports a really cool feature which allows it to log to XMPP services as described here. TIP now exploits this feature receiving and storing such logs (really thanks to Markus Koetter for his help and support).
A few weeks ago I started reviewing the PHoneyC DOM emulation code and realized it was turning to be hard to maintain and debug due to a huge amount of undocumented (and sometimes awful) hacks. For this reason I decided it was time to patch (and sometimes rewrite from scratch) such code. These posts will describe how the new DOM emulation code will work. The patch is not available right now since I'm testing the code but plans exists to commit it in the PHoneyC SVN in the next days.